Hilliard is hometown pride. It is full of amenities from its renovated historic downtown to its large shopping plazas. All throughout the community are parks and bike trails. The area enjoys a privileged location, with convenient access to downtown Columbus and The Ohio State University campus, as well as being near recreational areas like Prairie Oaks Metro Park and Big Darby Creek.
Hilliard has roots in agriculture and railroads. In 1852 John Reed Hilliard bought land along the Piqua and Indiana Railroad and platted the area in 1853. It was an important spot for farmers to bring their products to market, and the area was named Hilliard Station. A year later the word “station” would be dropped, and the area would simply be known as Hilliard. The old railway station has been resorted and still stands in Weaver Park today.